There was a corn mill at Gomshall from the time of Domesday in 1086, probably at the same site as the current mill building (now restaurant). Its use as a corn mill continued throughout the medieval period, being re-built extensively in the 14th century, and then again in the 17th (to a five-bay timber-framed structure) and later 18th century. Although in the 17th century it served as two mills, one for corn and one for malt, under the same roof, it housed four corn mills in the following century, making it one of the most important corn-milling sites in the area. In the early 20th century silk dressing machinery was also installed.
As with Netley Mill, the wheel at Gomshall was originally an undershot, and later replaced by the more efficient over-shot type (in 1839). In 1939 one of the wheels was removed and replaced with a 10hp Hornsby engine. After its closure in 1953, the mill lay derelict until 1964, when the building was converted into a restaurant and antique shop, whilst still retaining much of its machinery.
For more on Gomshall Mill, please consult the following sources:
Brandon, Peter (1984, rev 2003), The Tillingbourne River Story: the history of the river in Wotton, Abinger, Gomshall, Shere, Albury, Chilworth and Shalford, Surrey (Shere, Gomshall & Peaslake Local History Society); Harris, Nigel (2005), Gomshall Mill, the Harris millers & their Shere connection (Nigel Harris); Noyes, Ann (1997, 2nd ed 2003), A tannery in Gomshall: from the first Elizabeth to the second (Shere, Gomshall, and Peaslake Local History Society); Shere, Gomshall, and Peaslake Local History Society (2001), Shere: a Surrey village in maps: a record of its growth and development (Surrey Archaeological Society); Shere, Gomshall, and Peaslake Local History Society (2003), Shere, Gomshall & Peaslake: a short history (Shere, Gomshall, and Peaslake Local History Society); Tarplee, Peter (1992), Gomshall Mill and the Tillingbourne Valley (Surrey Industrial History Group)